Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thrummed Mitts

I know what thrummed mitts are. They are the mitts I had growing up, I hated them. All I wanted was a pair of sleek Park City Mitts with their neon colours and waterproof abilities. Nope, it was the wool thrummed mitts from the store. I admit, not even the good homemade ones. These aparently are a Newfoundland tradition, it seems that everytime I find something I REALLY like it is from Nfld or Ireland, my roots.
Well I thought for a friends birthday I would knit her a pair of good old fashioned thrummed mitts. I saw a pair at the market for $50.00 and thought, "hell I can do that!" So I tried.
It took me the better part of a month, I hand dyed the roving and used a supersoft merino. If they weren't a present that I had already told the recipient she was getting, I would SO be keeping these.
I will have to make a few more for Christmas next year, even though T has an order in.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment