Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The best banana bread

I love me some fresh, homemade banana bread.
The recipe I grew up with is a mennonite recipe, from Waterloo county, but over the years I have tweaked it and changed it to be more of what my family likes.

It really is one of the ultimate comfort foods and the best thing for almost done bananas.

 photo 85748ede-2e7c-4ff8-b1a3-99efdfddfae0.jpg


3 or 4 ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low fat sour cream or low fat greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar (I like organic cane sugar, but white sugar works too)
2 eggs
1 tsp salt

Directions:

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Cream together shortening and sugar.
Add in eggs and mix well.
Add in mashed bananas, almond and vanilla extract and mix well.
Alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the milk/sour cream until all is incorporated.
Spray a loaf pan (or mini loaf pans)
Bake at 350degrees for 45 minutes to an hour until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
(I bake less time with the mini pans)

**We also will throw a handful of chocolate chips in from time to time, a little semi sweet and a little milk chocolate makes for ever more goodness**






No comments:

Post a Comment