Thursday, September 17, 2015

Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

Okay, so maybe just jelly time.



I brought back grapes from Ontario last week, thinking the kids would inhale them. They didn't. They were from Vineland, so chances are they were more a wine grape than an eating grape. I didn't have enough to make wine (or let's be honest the burning desire to make wine) but I did have enough for jelly.
One jar to be precise, so instead of quantities of jam (ahem strawberry ahem) I have a nice small batch of grape jelly.
 
Now having made peach, strawberry, raspberry and jalapeƱo jam this summer, I was pretty confident I could figure out something for grape jelly. The only real difference between the two is the peices of fruit in the jam and just liquid in jelly.


Ingredients
1 small basket of grapes (no clue how much was in my basket, my guess it was an over flowing quart)
300-400 grams of sugar
1/2 to a whole lemon, juiced.
1/2 packet of Liquid pectin 

How to:
Put the grapes on low heat in a sauce pan.
Leave on heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When juices begin to run, mash up the grapes with a fork or potato masher.
Return to low heat about 10-12 minutes.
Put mashed grapes into a jelly bag or strainer with cheese cloth on it and allow to sit for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
Depending on how much juice you got figure out your sugar. 600ml go with about 400g, less juice, less sugar, more juice, more sugar.
Dump all ingredients into a pot and put over medium high heat.
Cook until candy thermometer says 105 degrees, skimming foam as you go.
Pour into prepared/sterilized mason jar.
As soon as it cooled I had jelly on wheat crackers and I was about 7 again.
If you have self control or have a jar of jam in the go already, it can be stored in a cool, dark place for a few months, but let's be honest here, that's not really going o happen is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment