Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Refinished the table

Before: The old, tired Superstore coffee table I bought when we first moved to AB in 2009 for a whopping $25.00. We had just moved, we had a new baby and were down to one income. All the really nice coffee tables we looked at were $500 plus. It looked nice, was sturdy and inexpensive.


Fast forward 7 years and that nice looking table was worn, beaten up and sadly in need of replacing. HOWEVER someone introduced me to chalk paint. 


TADA! I found a nice off-white shade and painted out the table. I had originally sealed the table with a clear coat, which immediately turned a lovely shade of smokers yellow. I painted over the sealant and love the off white colour again. I sealed it with plain old bees wax, which smells better anyhow. I have found that the bees wax seals just fine on any furniture that won't directly have something placed on it. For anything that is a table top or will have rings put on top (especially drinks or hold/cold items) you really should put a good sealant on it. It tends to wear better. That being said, it you do end up with a scratch, touch ups tend to be super easy.


I went to a salvage place in the city and found shiplap from an old barn. It was beautifully greyed and dirty. I picked out the least warped and damaged pieces and had them cut to the size of my table, with a little overlapping on the sides.


I did end up doing a little sanding on the shiplap once I had it affixed to the table. I love, love, love the grey patina, but since it had been affixed to the outside of a barn for Im not sure how long, it was splinter-y and needed a sanding in order to not be a hazard. 



I glued and nailed the shiplap to the top of my painted table and absolutely love this piece.
It has given this table another 7 years or so for about $50.00 ($15.00 for chalk paint and $35.00 for wood)





No comments:

Post a Comment