Monday, November 17, 2014

Rainbow Jello Bars

I found these while wandering on Pinterest. It took me awhile to figure out HOW they did it as the link I found only showed me a picture. I figured it was just a lot of gelatine, jello and patience.



I bought the jello and gelatine, the weather co-operated and got down to about -25 and I went to town.

1) Mix up your first colour. I went with Grape because I hate the smell of artificial grape and I wanted it out of the way first. You mix it like you're making shots (no really). Mix the jello 3/4 cup boiling water to dissolve the powder. Add one package of gelatine and add your cold water once the powder has dissolved.  Pour this mixture into your pan and let set. Either in the freezer or just pop outside into -25 and the magic happen even faster! DO NOT LET IT FREEZE. Frozen jello has an awful, awful texture.
2) Mix up the white part. I used sweetened condensed milk, a lot of gelatine and hot water.
I dissolved 3 packages of gelatine into the hot water and mixed in a can of eagle brand. Pour this mixture over the first layer of jello and allow to set. You don't need a lot. In fact pour a little into the tray and then tilt the tray this way and that to cover the jello. If you have white mix left over, no big deal, you just need enough to create a definition between the colour layers.
3) Repeat step 1 with the jello mix and allow to set
4) Repeat step 2 with the white mixture and allow to set. Alternate between jello and white mixtures until your tray is done.
5) Once completely set cut out into bit sized pieces and serve on a tray. I threw out the edge because they had frozen and were gross.

They look so pretty and kids love peeling them apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment