Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Wild Kratt Birthday

My kids seem to love the obscure. Wild Kratts aren't wildly known, sure some people might remember them from Zaboomafoo fame and there are kids who love the show, but they're no Ninja Turtles or Spiderman.
t wanted a Wild Kratt party this year. Of course there are no Wild Kratt treat bags, table clothes wrapping paper or decorations so it was a scratch endeavour.



I made creature power suits for the kids to wear. They're just felt from the fabric store that I used a vest in the house to trace a rough pattern onto.  I cut them out, sewed the arms and the sides together to make a pullover vest of sorts. Then I used heat bond to iron on the embellishments. Super easy.



I printed out a bunch of things from the PBS website www.PBS.org

And the cake!



I took pictures as I went so if anyone else wants to try it and just seeing the finished result on Pinterest doesn't help, I hope this will!

I made a sheet cake (used white and chocolate cake to make a zebra cake) I cut a V at the top as the neck and 2 small "arm holes".


I covered the entire thing with lots of chocolate buttercream icing. I used it to smooth out inconsistencies and round things out. I used my kitchen aid with the dough hook to knead the fondant into a workable clay.



I rolled out the fondant as thinly as I dared. I made sure it was a lot bigger than the cake, to trim off the edges as needed. I used a lot and I do mean A LOT of coconut oil to keep the fondant together and pliable.


I rolled the fondant onto the rolling pin and then onto the cake.



I smoothed the fondant down and tucke it to be smooth. I used a thin non serated knife to smooth the top and sides and then cut away the extra.


I sprayed a little more coconut oil to keep the fondant from breaking or cracking. Then I started on the colours.
I had white fondant which I mixed gel colouring into. 


I did the blue first. I fished out cups, lids, bowls, cookies cutters until I found circles the right size. I cut the shoulder blocks and side blocks by hand. 
I applied the fondant while soft and it stuck just fine.
I used the same knife to smooth the fondant down and clean up the edges.




I cut the letters by hand as well. I just brought up the PBS website and followed as best I could the basic look of the font. Not perfect, but close enough.
I used another random round thing in my kitchen to cut the yellow circle. I also pulled a bunch of animal cookie cutters or and had t choose his favourite. It was a bear, but he called it a honey badger. (too much Wild Kratts).


I used a little white buttercream icing in a ziplock bag (corner snipped off) to finish the creature power disc. I stuck the bear/honey badger on with the icing and called it a day! He loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment